The ‘Kentish’ was built in 1851 by Edward Constable who emigrated from Maidstone, Kent in England. Constable then went on to apply to the Colonial Secretary for a Publican’s Special Licence and Licence No.47 was granted on January 10th 1853. That same license still continues today and the hotel lays claim to the longest continuous liquor license in New Zealand.
Should be a great chance to get some footage for a short documentary. After two fictional shortfilms, a fact-finding investigation will be an interesting challenge.